Saturday, September 25, 2010

Life on the Farm


We've spent the last few days trying to get to know the school, which is a little difficult when only one other person here speaks English.  Still, we've been able to see and figure out a lot.  I'm realizing that I know a lot more Spanish than I thought.

Students get up at 5:45 am (so early!) to clean their rooms and do other chores.  Then breakfast.  After that, half of the students go to class and half go to the farm.  Each week, students switch between regular classes and working the farm.  Other than a few hours of break after lunch, all of the students are pretty busy from about 8 am to 4 pm.  After school, students hang out with their friends, listening to music, playing soccer, or watching TV.  Dinner is at 8 pm, and everyone goes to bed by 9:45 pm.  They work hard in school, but they seem to enjoy themselves.  I think they all feel pretty lucky to be able to attend the school.

Taylor and I have now familiarized ourselves with the school, and though we aren't here to work on the farm, it's been fun to see bits and pieces of farm life.  Yesterday, we observed new cows being immunized and tested for diseases.  (Actually, I couldn't really watch much.  I hate shots, and these were the biggest needles I've ever seen.)  The school's method of farming is intense and completely organic, but the teachers here say that it's the most affordable way for the students to learn to farm...at least, in the long run.  They will save money by not buying chemical pesticides and fertilizers, and they won't have to keep moving every few years when the chemicals wear out their land.  I'm still not sure what I think, but it's cool that they can do so much without chemicals.

I am beginning to work on an English curriculum for the school, and Taylor and I have a meeting with the school's director on Monday to discuss the school's finances and marketing strategies.  Excellent.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...