Monday, May 31, 2010

It's Fun to Stay at the YMCA

Today was a long long day. I spent the majority of the night in the airport waiting for flights, going through security check points, and standing in lines. I arrived in Hyderabad around 3:00am but didn't leave the airport until 4:30am. I made it through customs and immigration thankfully. The woman at the customs desk was angry at another employee and simply looked at my passport and visa, stamped it and shooed me through. I have no complaints.

Hyderabad is enormous. It is similar to Kampala in many ways only much much larger. The city blocks stretch on and on. I started walking yesterday to familiarize myself with the neighborhood. I walked for an hour in one direction and then turned back. Nothing in the scenery had changed. Thousands and thousands of people with thousands and thousands of cars cramming through small streets lined with shops selling everything you can imagine.

I met up with Kumar, the elders quorum president. He was so kind and generous. He took me around town on his motorcycle to help me set everything up. We got my cell phone working after many hours of trying. He took me to an “American” buffet which really was delicious. After several days of airplane cuisine I was so grateful to stuff myself with good food. His friend Rajeev spent several hours with me helping me with understanding the currency, the customs etc. They are both so kind and helpful. I get the feeling from them and others that Indian hospitality is something I can expect throughout my stay here. I need to figure out how I can thank them.

I am currently staying at the YMCA. I got an air conditioned room (thank goodness) with a bathroom and shower for a few dollars. The room is a small step up from the multi choice, and the bathroom is similar to the one at the second hotel we used in Gulu. I can't complain. I have a secure place to store my things and a cool room to sleep. The YMCA is a happening place. Outside there are classrooms, meeting rooms, and a basketball court. There are hundreds of people outside roller staking, playing basketball, ping pong, running, yoga etc. It's a community hub.

Kristen is supposedly arriving in a few minutes. I hope everything with her flights worked out ok. I am so glad to be here. It will be such an amazing experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...